Doug is is a freelance mobile performance expert, having helped thousands of developers speed up their mobile apps and websites. A Google Developer Expert and the author of O’Reilly’s “High Performance Android Apps,” Doug regularly speaks at conferences, and blogs at dougsillars.com. He is currently working as a freelance digital nomad, traveling with his family in Europe.
unfold_lessunfold_more Building an ARt Gallery in the Browser
- Imagine walking through a virtual world with art from all the great masters hanging on the wall. Now, imagine hanging all the great masters art in YOUR gallery/living room with AR. In this talk, we’ll walk through the steps to build both
- We'll look at AR/VR available today
- We'll look at the WebXR spec that is in pre-alpha, and what is coming in the future.
- you'll see where web AR is today, and where is is going to be in a year or so.
The world of virtual reality allows us to build new 3D interactive spaces that we can fill with anything we want - like the art of the great Renaissance masters. More into Cubism? With a quick click - now the gallery is full of a completely different genre. With new AR features, we can actually build the gallery in our own space - and just as easily swap out the art - all in our browser! In this talk, we’ll walk through the steps to build a virtual ARt gallery, with web technology available today, but also take a peek at the new WebXR technology that is coming to our browsers soon!
unfold_lessunfold_more Fast and Beautiful: Modern Image Delivery Techniques
- Optimizing images saves tons of data, and will speed up the delivery of your content.
- We'll look at the state of images on the web today, and how optimization affects load time
- We'll talk a bit about animated GIFs and how they should be optimized.
- You'll come away with a good understanding of the state of images today - and how optimize the images on your website or mobile app.
The average mobile website page weight is ~50% images. Toss in the complication of thousands of differently sized screens, and it might appear that efficient delivery of images to every device is an impossible task. But all is not lost! In this talk, we’ll examine strategies to send the perfect image to every device, ensuring a fast, beautiful rendering of your content. We’ll look at progressive images, placeholder images, lazy loading and other techniques and real world examples that will improve the usability of your site or app. Attendees will come away with an understand of the current ‘state of the art’ for optimizing visual content on the web.
unfold_lessunfold_more Web panel with Doug Sillars, Shawn Wang, and Tracy Lee
- Current state of the web
- Future state of the web
Web panel with Doug Sillars, Shawn “swyx” Wang (Netlify), and Tracy Lee (This Dot Labs).